Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 20, 2011

How A Song Can Change For the Better

Today we were working on plans and a few songs for an upcoming evening we call "Magpies Extravaganza", which is really an excuse to play music with all of our player friends. 

I was in a bit of a quiet mood and started fooling around with the song "Road to Nowhere" (see previous post).   Don started playing along on the keyboard and Brian picked up the bouzouki.   The song took on a whole new sound.   Instead of a 'rock' sound, it was more melodic and soulful.    As Don said, it better suits the song.  Same music, but a totally different feel.    

I've had a few experiences where a song has taken on a new life.   1st one was a song called 'Long Way Home" which I wrote a few years back.   When my music pals started playing it, they filled in with sounds I didn't expect and they made it sound great.   2nd time was on a song called "Green Valley Monsters" which I co-wrote with Brian and Don.   They took a simple lick and helped turn it into a great collaborative effort.   We'll debut both at the 'extravaganza".  

No comments: