Total Pageviews

Monday, December 26, 2011

Writing Again

After a long drought, I finally got writing again.  Sunday morning being Christmas morning, if you can believe it, I picked up my guitar and wrote a song called Sunday Morning Blues.    I had been playing around with some music on Christmas Eve and the whole lyrics came to me in about 10 minutes on Christmas morning.   I am still amazed how that happens. 

After playing the song on Boxing day, I wrote a couple of more verses and fixed up some things. 

My favourite lines in the song comes from the first verse

"Woke up on the street
On Sunday morn
Looking at my blue jeans
Where they are worn"

Wanda gave me a new Yamaha powered mixer for Christmas.  No speakers.  So today (Boxing Day) we went over to the West End Rock Shop.  Easy to get there now if we take the Anthony Henday.  under 15 minutes. Used to take up to 45 minutes, and today it would have been an hour going the old route. 

I had a limited budget, so I couldn't really splurge on speakers.    So I went with some non-powered Peavy monitor speakers.  I figured that when we play somewhere, we can always rent good powered speakers but we can use the monitors.  In my basement, the monitors put out more than enough clean sound, so it was a good fit for now.  At some point, perhaps we'll get the powered speakers. 

So new mixer and speaker set up in the music room, I got to try out the new song. Sounded good.  I like it.

Tomorrow, Ernie and Deb are having a jam and a pot luck supper.  I'll get to try out the new song for them.  Then on Wednesday, Don and Linda invited the Big Sky Glider families over for dinner and an unplugged jam.  Get to try the song out then too. 

It does feel good to get writing again.   4 days to write 4 more songs to meet my goal.   Too busy playing for that to happen.

No comments: