Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2011

So, How's The Songwriting Going

Since we've been in the studio, my songwriting has taken a back seat.  So has our appearances playing in public.  We've been concentrating so much on the recording, that we haven't focused on anything else. 

So I starting to have a problem.  I set my goal of writing 20 songs in 2011.  So how's that going, you might ask.  Well, truth is, I have a lot to do in a few weeks.  I do have a bunch of things in the works, but nothing is really going anywhere yet.  Am I worried about not meeting my goal.  It won't be the end of the world. 

I've been pulling some songs out of my song book that I haven't played or shared, and one of those (Back To You) has taken on a new life.  It's the only song we do that 'almost' has a bit of bluegrass feel to it.  But that song was from 2009.  So, old song, new life.  At least that's something. 

I've been in this song writing block before.   It used to worry me a bit, but no more.  I know that at some point, I'll get into a bit of a roll again.  "Don't know when, don't know how".  (Can't use that line; it's been done before).   Now there's a title for a song "It's been done before".  Hmmm!

I read this morning on Corb Lunds Facebook entry, that he "wrote two songs today".  One was 'a desert lovesong' and the other is 'graveyard blues'.   I haven't written two songs in one day for over a year. 

Sometimes when I put too much pressure on myself to write something, I come up empty.  Usually, when songs come to me is when I'm relaxed and often not even thinking about writing.  I need to take some time off work and relax.  Maybe something will come to me then.  Hey Christmas is coming!

No comments: