Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Noon Train

I've been playing around with a song about waiting on the noon train and the train is late.  It started out with a kind of, or shall we say, it was a country song.  Wasn't really what I wanted and the song just went nowhere.  Until last night. 

Friday night, I went back out to the Java Express.  Again, not many players there.  When I got there Ernie was playing with 'Bear".  Irene and Deb were there to sing a few songs. The biggest difference this week from last was there was more people to listen in.  The place was actually full.  Nice.   I started off doing my new song "Barely Hangin' On".   I wasn't in great form on Friday and kind of screwed up on the song.  Still, at the end of the night, a few folks came up to me and told me that they liked the song.  Nice to get that feedback.

Yesterday we (as in Don, Brian, George, and myself) went to an open stage at the Crown Pub.  It was our first time there, and since there wasn't a lot of players, the host (Marshall Lawrence) let us play a fairly long set.   It went OK, but it was the second day in a row that I wasn't in great form and it was clear to me we (I) really need to work on Don's songs.   At the end of our set, it was quite gratifying that some of the folks in the bar came up and talked to us about our songs and how they like what we do.  Nice to get that feedback. 

Oh yeah!  Back to the new song.   I must have been inspired by Marshall Lawrence, who is a great blues player in Edmonton.   I came home after and started playing around with some 12 bar blues.  Then I took the lyrics of "noon train', rearranged them to fit the blues, and viola.  New song.    I'm still workin' it out, so not ready to share yet - but it is a new direction for me.

Meanwhile, I can share an old song with you. This one I wrote about 4 years ago when I was sitting an an old garage in Innisfail across from the railway tracks.  I had to wait for a bout 4 hours to get a ride so I pulled out my guitar and wrote this song.  Its called Lonely Train. 

No comments: