Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Back in the Studio

The Big Sky Gliders are back in the studio to record more original songs  The three that we are working on includes:

  • Sunday Morning Alibi :   A song by Don Watson about enjoying a quite Sunday morning on a doorstep with a favourite cat, and contemplating the idea of going to work on Monday (or not). 
  • Where Randy Rolled a Tractor :  A song by Jimmy Lapp that reflects with pride on a visit to his home town 30 years after moving away. 
  • My Dream Automobile:  A song by Jimmy Lapp that came to him in a dream about good times driving in a 52 Chevy with good friends. 

Brian laying down the bass track
This time in the studio, we are more comfortable with the process and are much better prepared with our concept of the final outcome of the song.  This makes us more focused on what we want in the songs.  

Wanda came down to the studio on Thursday to see how the recording works.  I'm so glad she did.  She can now understand why we spend so much time there.   To hear a song evolve from the initial scratch track to a finished product is a great experience.  I was just as excited on Thursday when I could hear 'Randy" come together with the mix of instruments and vocals just as I had envisioned it, as I was the day I heard one of my first songs played live .  It isn't done yet - still need to add bouzouki track and backing vocals, then we'll do final mix.   My Dream has a few more pieces to finish.  I think Don and Brian got all they wanted on Sunday Morning Alibi. (I'm not part of that recording - I was absent when they did it). 

So I'm not available next week.  Don and Brian will go into the studio and add the final tracks, then hopefully we'll be ready to do the final mixing in a couple of weeks.  We'll have them released in late March or early April.  Look for them on our bandcamp web site. 

http://bigskygliders.bandcamp.com/


Lyrics on the wall

No comments: